Saturday, September 10, 2016

Excerpt from Say Goodbye to Dad - A Survival Guide to Breaking Free from Toxic Emotional Ties

Back in '96, I was 21 years old at the time and was in and out of an abusive relationship with an older man. My Daddy blues didn't come to light for me until years later when I decided to get married to someone else. It was then that I noticed there were so many similarities my mate and others had like my dad. A few were former military guys, had been to Germany, and came from large families, quiet, impatient, and hot-tempered. I was looking for something in my male partners to fill a void, but I had no clue what that could have been back then. In time, I gave my life to Christ and became saved. After that spiritual experience, little did I know that various personal issues in my life would be exposed. I share some thoughts about the partner connection in a later chapter.

The most important thing I learned about myself when it came to my relationship with my Dad was that I needed attention--a male figure that genuinely liked and respected me and wanted to know more about me. Up until that point, all I knew was that I had developed a pattern when it came to dating men that reminded me of my Dad. Later in life, I had to come to terms with the fact that I was a disappointed daughter that was not going to get my emotional needs met from intimate partners, because I was looking for something in them that they simply couldn't fulfill--a father daughter bond.

Many men operate off of the premise that if they weren’t involved in their daughter’s life as she was growing up that it is too late to make a difference,” Ken Canfield, speaker and author of Seven Secrets of Effective Fathers and The Heart of a Father, said on Firstthings.org/father-daughter-relationships. “Thinking that the die is cast or the deal is done because our children are grown is something we must re-examine, because it simply is not true. In a parallel vein, research shows the devastating impact of divorce affects adult children deeply. Contrastingly, the continued investment in your child’s life even when they are parents of your grandchildren will reap tremendous benefits for you and them.”

As I discovered more about myself, I observed that some men and women I knew personally and professionally had some daddy hang-ups too. Some of us weren't children of divorce and didn't have Dads that weren't living outside of the home, yet we had emotional issues. There were those of us who were looking for surrogate fathers through marriage, others who tried to make peace with the past after dads had died by leaning on many lovers and addictions, and those who had no clue where to begin when it came to connecting with their fathers because of old wounds, so they either created false stories or exaggerated events to ease the pain. Then of course, there were daughters who didn't have any problems that they could think of concerning their fathers. As for men I knew with broken relationships with their fathers either they didn't have their fathers around, didn't know him or he was around but was very demanding or ineffective--one of two extremes.

I didn't breathe a word to those who had what were seemingly healthy relationships with their fathers about anything negative concerning my family, because I didn't need or want their advice or pity. As far as they knew, "I have a good family...nice, kind, loving." Some of this had long been seeded in me by my parents even when I didn't always agree. Were they really as positive as I made them appear to be? Every so often, but the old mantra, "What goes on in this house stays in the house," played like a broken record in my head, because their parents told them the same thing. Even when I was really young, I knew there were some things being covered up, and my eyes didn't deceive me. I saw my parent's personality issues and weaknesses. I couldn't help but feel different, from time to time confused maybe even jealous when some friends talked so positively about their Dads and were all smiles when they hugged and joked with them. Many Dads, with military programming, come with much baggage and their families suffer more than they will ever tell. Throw alcohol in the mix with loved ones and you are in for a treat! When I was a child, there wasn't a family event that didn't include men pouring strong drinks and a few women taking their sips.

The nonfiction, self-help guide, Say Goodbye to Dad by Nicholl McGuire, touches on Daddy problems and solutions that will help disappointed sons and daughters get past personal pain and struggles and on to a path toward some healing and understanding! The daddy issues presented are those past offenses, unresolved dilemmas, hidden emotional pain, and memories of verbal and/or physical abuse that didn't easily go away no matter how old you are or how much you visit and/or talk with a father(s). Those daddy issues also come in the form of dating and marrying mature men old enough to be a Dad's brother or worse close to a grandfather's age. You might lean on these men for support and/or companionship. You look to them for comfort. But for many young, frustrated women they get nothing more than controlling partners who aren't interested in nothing more than someone to care for them like a daughter, have sex, or a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADVERTISE HERE!

Have a blog/product/service? Share it with visitors of our site. Feel free to contact nichollmcguire@yahoo.com to discuss your business needs.

Search This Blog

Other Family Blogs Worth a Look...



Topics

4th of July abandonment about us abusers abusive daughters abusive fathers addiction adult add/adhd adult sons and daughters adults and mental health issues advice African American children aging alcoholics ancestry ancestry dna angry men toward women angry relatives antisocial personality disorder apologies arguments bad news bad relatives bereavement bigotry black sheep blended families blog owner borderline personality disorder braggarts bully busybodies career caring for elderly parents cheapskates cheating child abuse children and mental health disorders christmas church codependency codependent cognitive dissonance communication community competitive relatives controlling parents controlling women crazy relatives cults cyclothymia daddy issues dating death deceased loved ones deceitful people delusional relatives demonic influence dependent personality disorder depression difficult family members disappointments discipline dissociative identity disorder distant relatives divorce domestic violence doubts dreams drug abuse drunks dysfunctional families emotional abuse emotional blackmail emotional flashbacks emotional physical bondage emotional vampires empaths enablers encouragement engaged enmeshed relationships entertainment estranged siblings evil people ex relatives exes exs faith family family abuse family activities family breakup family bullies family closeness family conflict family fighting family history family liars family lies family obligations family parties family planning family problems family resources family reunion family scapegoat family secrets family stories family support family survival family therapy family togetherness family traditions family vacation father daughter relationships fatherhood fault-finders feeling used foolish people forgiveness friends funerals generational curses gifts God golden children gossips graduates grandchildren grandparents greedy relatives grief guilt happiness haters healing healthy families histrionic personality disorder hoarders holidays house guests how to reconnect with family how to say goodbye to children humor husbands hypocrites hypomania personality disorder ill relatives immature adults immorality inlaws intermittent explosive disorder interracial relationships introverts jealousy lazy relatives liars lies loneliness love low T manipulation marriage medical history mental abuse mind control misers money mother mother-in-laws motherhood naivety narcissistic men narcissistic parent narcissistic personality disorder negative family members new year no contact with family obsession obsessive compulsive disorder offended relatives overprotective defensive relatives overwhelm paranoid disorder parental brainwashing parenting parents parents who play favorites peacemaker personal problems petty relatives physically abused podcast poems post traumatic stress disorder prayer prejudice prideful people prophets in the family psychology psychopath personality disorder racism racists raising daughters raising sons rebellion relationship abuse relationships relatives and babysitting relocation repressed memories reputation respect rich family members rude relatives satan schizoaffective disorder schizoid personality disorder school breaks seasonal affective disorder self-esteem problems selfish family members senior citizens sexism shopping sibling arguments sibling rivalry single parent singles without children social anxiety disorder sociopath personality disorder soldiers spiritual abuse spiritual family friends spiritual relatives spirituality step-parents stepmothers stonewalling strange relatives strangers stress strict fathers strong families stubborn relatives successful family suicide teens temptation thanksgiving the big dreamer toxic relatives trauma travel truthtellers visions wedding widows wisdom witchcraft wives work worry